Search Engine Optimization is all about the organic top ranking in the search engines results page. Top ranking is decided by the score obtained by the unique logic programs applied by each search engines. It is not so easy task to rank top in search engine results page unless you maintain proper SEO standards. So here we discuss a brief about SEO, its advantages and SEO Process.
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization(SEO) is a methodology of techniques, strategies and tactics that are used to gain a higher rank in Search Engine Results Page(SERP) which in turn improves the traffic to the website. Search engines (Yahoo, Bing, Google) have their own database of webpages and they design programs or bots or spiders to crawl the webpages and store the data in their Index.
Advantages of SEO:
- Help people find your website
- Builds Trust & Credibility
- Helps build your brand
- Attracts relevant traffic with high conversion potential
- Provides endless opportunities
- Beats paid traffic
What do Search engines look for?
There are many components that search engines look. Some of them are the title, headings, focus keywords, image alt tags, website structure, and links. Also, search engines look at site design, visitor behavior and other external, off-page factors to determine your site rank in the search engine results pages.
So, here we discuss a 7 step SEO process which is best practice.
1. Website Audit
In case of an existing website, perform Website Audit to know its current status and where it stands. Use SemRush tool to know its status. Also assess the website pages for:
- Organic Visitors Per Week using SemRush tool
- Observe Keywords Ranking like organic position distribution using SemRush tool
- Backlinks/Linking Domains using SemRush tool
- Technical Errors using SemRush tool
- Site Structure, number of pages using the screaming frog tool
- Length of Content using the screaming frog tool
- Alexa Ranking
- Domain Authority using small seo tools or seo view tool or Moz. It ranges from 0-100, Lower is best.
- Content Freshness
- Page Authority, Moz Rank
- Ahrefs Rank. Domain rating using Ahrefs tool. It ranges from (0-100), higher is best.
- Social Sharing Options
- Duplicate content: Avoid the same content on different pages.
- Experience and Responsiveness
- Check for Robots.txt:
- Robots.txt is a simple text file that is kept under the root folder of your website
- You can hide folders or files which the search engines should not crawl by specifying them with “Disallow:”
- Search with sitename.com/robots.txt
- Check for sitemap.xml:
- An XML Sitemap provides clarity to the search engines by giving them the priority, change frequency and last updated date and time.
- Specifying these details can help search engines better understand your website, thus better index.
- Search with sitename.com/sitemap.xml
- Frequency Prioritize: 1 – higher priority and 0 – lower priority
- Check for HTML site map: All the links on the homepage
- Check for SSL:
- Secure Socket Layers. https://site.com
- With this feature, nobody can trace the user filled contact form data.
- Google gives more preference to https sites.
- Check for Social media followers and Post frequency.
2. Organize Website Structure
It is the hierarchy of the website structure. To score more in competition, create a strong website structure by categorizing the content into relevant groups and maintain required levels that will increase the strength of a website. Maintain blog section and resources. Products/Services pages with maximum possible information. Right website architecture gives the right results.
3. Ensure Rich Content
It is preferred to have a minimum of 300 words in pages and about 1800 words on a blog post. Keep relevant content and use a conversational tone to read to make a decision. Also include relevant visuals like images, videos, infographics for better engagement. Add internal and external links. Check for grammar and plagiarism. Each page should represent a virtual sales machine or lead conversion machine.
4. Optimize keyword research:
Research for the keywords which people might use to find your website. Keywords should meet the Intent of the search. Collect Keywords by; brainstorming, researching on competitor websites, using tools like SemRush, Adwords Keyword Research Tool, Ubersuggest, etc. After collecting a set of keywords, using google keyword planner calculate average monthly search volume(MSV) and search for the total number of pages in google index.
Calculate Keyword Effectiveness Index(KEI) to understand the difficulty level to rank the particular keyword, by dividing the number of pages with MSV. Select keyword in a manner 1. High Relevance 2. Better Search Volume 3. Low KEI.
5. On Page Elements:
Include the focus keyword in each page URL except for Home Page.
- Include the focus keyword in each page URL except for Home Page.
- Meta Title: Write with 60-65 characters. Include focus Keyword. Make it compelling enough to click. Keep it Unique and maintain title case. Also, keep the brand name at the end.
- Meta Description: Write with 170 characters. Include the focus keyword and also secondary keywords. Make it like the summary of the page. Keep it Unique and maintain title case. Also, keep the brand name at the end.
- Headings: Include focus keyword in heading H1. In other headings, H2 to H6 include secondary keywords. Use title case.
- Content: At least 300 words should be maintained on each page. Also, include focus keyword about 2% of the total words on the page. Use related words or synonyms of focus keyword. Distribute the keywords evenly.
- Links: Provide both Internal and external links
- Images: Visual content plays a crucial role in SEO. Keep the keywords in filename. Keep keywords in the ALT tag.
- Videos: Embed videos from youtube and write a short description with relevant keywords. on
6. Off-Page SEO Activities
Distribute your website across other channels. It is a type of earned media activity. You request other quality sites to refer your site that leads to increase your rank.
- Blogger Outreach: Prepare a story, then Identify and contact suitable bloggers or websites and write an email. Promote that story on all channels and post replies to the comments.
- Guest Blogging: Prepare the content, identify and contact the suitable bloggers or websites and request them to post your blog on their sites. Also, post replies to that guest blog.
- Get Links to Your blogs or Resources: Identify the suitable blogs which can be linke to your article. Contact them and request to link your blog.
- Infographics: Create highly valuable and distribute infographics. Visual content can engage more audiences.
- Answer questions on Quora with links to your content.
- Comment on suitable blogs to refer your links
- Share on all possible social platforms
- Submit in suitable niche directories: Before submitting, check their rank
- Setup and optimize Local Business Profiles like Google My Business, MS Bing.
7. Track the Performance
Maintain, Monitor and Modify is the best practice. Monitor your site’s SEO performance with tools like SemRush. Watch the below video for better understand.
As Search Engine Optimization is all about ranking top, you need to maintain the standards for the website to perform bettr. Furnish your website with these SEO process steps and make sure you fulfill all the requirements. A perfect SEO process helps you to beat paid traffic. As earned media is more powerful, make best practices to get links referring to your site from the external sites for the better results.